Written by David Redden


The Parramatta Goannas and Sydney University turned on an absolute thriller in the early game at Gipps Rd Oval on Saturday. The Students produced a massive three-goal third quarter and hung on to win 6.2.38 to 4.6.30, cementing second place in a fiercely competitive Premier Division Top Five.

Sydney University’s accurate goalkicking was pivotal in their outstanding performance, winning the game despite having eight shots on goal in comparison with the Goannas’ ten.

Emma Walsh’s three goals were crucial for the Students, whilst experienced forward Brianna-Lee Wade managed two majors for the Goannas. Saskia Johnson, Kara Durante, Arabella Price, Ash Dribbus and Walsh were best for the Students, whilst Parramatta were best served by Zoe Clubb, Zara Stanford, Ashley Gray and Wade.

In a game transferred to Blacktown International Sportspark 2 (BISP 2) after Sydney’s Northern Beaches endured the most of a significant East Coast rain event, Manly Warringah defeated the UNSW-ES Bulldogs by twenty-seven points, a solid result for the Weldon Oval faithful after beating 2023 Premiers, East Coast Eagles, seven days earlier. Final scores were Manly Warringah 9.4.58 to UNSW-ES 3.13.31.

The Wolves set up their victory in the third quarter, keeping the Bulldogs goalless whilst kicking 4.1 in what is rightfully described as the “premiership quarter”. The Bulldogs unwittingly aided and abetted the Wolves in kicking a mere three goals from sixteen attempts on goal.

Elise Wallace’s two goals for Manly Warringah were best in a day where nine goals were kicked by eight individual goal kickers. Hannah Woolf, the consistent Zara Hamilton, Kenya Fahey and Jessica Layton were amongst the best players for the Wolves, whilst the Bulldogs were best served by Ella McCarthy-Grigg, Zali Deep, Emily-Summer Hawes and Abbie Traynor.

North Shore won their fourth game in a row to start the season in an excellent eight-point win over a 2023 Grand Finallists UTS Bats at Gore Hill Oval. Final scores were North Shore 7.6.48 to UTS 6.4.40, a result that sees the Bombers alone at the top of the Premier Division ladder, four points ahead of the impressive Sydney University.

The Bats produced a huge third quarter to lead by ten points at the final break. However, North Shore kicked 3.1 to 0.1 in the final quarter to storm home and take the four points.

Forwards Adrienne Keefe (three goals) and Kate Minchin (two goals) were highly effective in the Bombers forward line, whilst Chaye Hartwell and Jessica Quade managed two goals each for the Bats.

The Bombers were best served by Shannon Smit, Charlotte Tidemann, Minchin and Emily Cleghorn, whilst the Bats’ best players were Beth Martini, Tilley Edwards Hill, Charlotte Owen and Gabriella Stanwix.

The return of gun full-forward Rylee McGartland was pivotal for East Coast as they bounced back to form with a six-goal victory over Pennant Hills on Back to Baulko Day at Kanebridge Oval. Final scores were East Coast 9.7.61 to Pennant Hills 4.1.25.

East Coast led by twenty points at the main break and continued with the job in the second half in an impressive performance in front of a healthy crowd.

McGartland’s five goals showed how important she is as the Eagles set about chasing a rare “three-peat”. Small forward Natalie Pajor kicked three goals for the improving Demons outfit.

East Coast’s best players were Caitlin Reid, Jess Whelan, the reliable Michelle Foscarini and McGartland. Pennant Hills were best served by Hayley Lowe, Pajor, Elly Rudd and Eliza Harvey.


In Women’ Division One results, Newtown accounted for East Coast by twenty-nine points, Randwick City thumped Manly Warringah by fifty-four points, UTS defeated SW Sydney Blues by eighty-five points at Rosedale Oval and Parramatta secured a well-earned 11-point victory over Sydney University at Gipps Road.


In Friday Night Football between hosts Inner West Magpies and Sydney University at a wet Picken Oval, the Students defeated the Magpies in a professional twenty-point victory in trying conditions. The Demons produced a superb second quarter, kicking five goals straight and keeping the Magpies goalless before eventually running out winners 8.3.51 to 4.7.31.

Small forward William Gibbs and key forward Nik Dale were the main goalkickers for Sydney Uni, managing three goals each for the Students. Ben Zoppo made the most of limited opportunities in kicking all the Magpies’ four goals, with a successful dribble kick in the final quarter sure to feature in season highlights.

Sydney University’s best players were best on ground Max Kozlik, Max Bylsma, Jack Dimery and Matthew Dyster. Inner West were best served by coach Benjamin Klemke, Zoppo, Joshua Croft and Jonathon Bowyer.

SW Sydney Blues won their first game in Premier Division with a thumping ninety-three-point victory over a disappointing St George Dragons outfit at Olds Park in Penshurst. Final Scores were SW Sydney 20.10.130 to St George 5.7.37.

The Blues jumped St George in a clinical first quarter, leading by six goals at the first break. The Blues continued on their merry way, winning every quarter in an impressive performance that will do wonders for aims and aspirations of the SW Sydney faithful.

SW Sydney had their forwards all contribute to a convincing display, wit Blake Jarvis and Khy Gibbs managing four goals each and Caleb May & Liam Cass kicking three goals apiece. Sam Scandurra kicked two majors in a tough day for the Dragons.

SW Sydney’s best players were Gibbs, Bailey Stewart, Jarvis and Kerwin Stuart. St George were best served by Joshua Nicholls, Harry Parker, Finnegan Ritchie and Scandurra.

On Back to Baulko Day at Kanebridge Oval, a withering six-goal third quarter from Pennant Hills saw the Demons defeat East Coast Eagles by thirty-nine points. Final scores were Pennant Hills 11.11.77 to East Coast 5.8.38.

Key forwards Harrison Pitt and Nick Hey managed three goals each for the Demons, with Pitt channelling Ashley Sampi with a mark of the year nomination in the forward pocket. Ben Currie kicked two goals for East Coast.

Pennant Hills’ best players were Mitchell Blow, Cameron Mitchell, Luke Skrivanic and Pitt. East Coast were best served by Joshua Nicholls, Harry Elbourne, Brendan Coxall, Jacob Jones and Nathan Fox.

Manly Warringah and UNSW-ES produced a low-scoring thriller at BISP 2 in a game transferred from a drenched Welson Oval. The Wolves kept the Bulldogs goalless in the second half to come from sixteen points down at the main break to sneak home by four points. Final scores were Manly Warringah 6.13.49 to UNSW-ES 6.9.45, Manly just maintaining their undefeated start to the season.

Zac Youlten, continuing his fine form as a key forward, kicked two goals for the Wolves. Burly Bulldogs full-forward Jed Robin kicked four goals in a fine display out of the goal square.

The Wolves were best served by Barry O’Connor, Lachlan Cameron, Ky McGrath and Sam McMeeken. The Bulldogs best players were Owen Turner, Hamish Morrison, Samuel Gaden and Thomas Unger.

North Shore recovered from a blistering start by the UTS Bats to run out forty-eight winners at Gore Hill Oval, continuing the Bombers undefeated start to the season. Final scores were North Shore 13.23.101 to UTS 8.5.53.

The Bats led by eight points at the first break, but North Shore calmly kicked ten goals to three in the final three quarters, with inaccurate shooting their only minor concern in the absence of injured guns Ned Campbell and Mitchell Crisafulli.

Miles Gugger and Matt Buskariol kicked three goals each for the Bombers, whilst Ronald Fejo and Josh Ralph also produced three goals apiece for UTS.

Angus Loebel, Patrick Bolger, Ethan Grace and Christian Loone were amongst North Shore’s best players, whilst the Bats had solid contributions from Ash Backlund, Ralph, Louis Pribula and Fejo.


In Men’s Division One results, Camden defeated Pennant Hills by twenty-six points in front of a good crowd at Fairfax Reserve, North Shore accounted for Balmain by 106 points and Parramatta defeated UNSW-ES by twenty points in a terrific fixture at Gipps Rd. The Inner West vs Sydney University game was abandoned due to heavy overnight rain at Croydon Park.

Bring on Round 6!!